Wizkid, whose real name is Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, is a Nigerian singer and songwriter who has risen to international fame over the past decade. He was born on July 16, 1990, in Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria, and began his music career at the young age of 11. Wizkid has won numerous awards, including several BET Awards, and has collaborated with several high-profile musicians, including Drake, Beyoncé, and Justin Bieber. Here are 40 interesting and amazing fun facts about Wizkid.
|Name||Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun|
|Date of birth||July 16, 1990|
|Place of birth||Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria|
|Record label||Starboy Entertainment|
|Net worth||$30 million|
|Collaborations||Drake, Beyoncé, Justin Bieber, etc.|
|Awards and honors||3 BET Awards, 2 MTV Europe Music Awards, 4 African Music Awards, etc.|
Fun Facts about Wizkid
- Wizkid’s stage name was inspired by his love for American rapper, Guru’s album, “Wizkid.”
- He began recording music at the age of 11, and by the time he was 15, he had formed a group called Glorious Five with his friends.
- Wizkid’s debut single, “Holla at Your Boy,” was released in 2010 and became an instant hit.
- He was signed to Banky W’s record label, Empire Mates Entertainment (EME), in 2009.
- In 2016, Wizkid became the first Nigerian musician to have over one million followers on Twitter.
- He has won several awards, including three BET Awards, two MTV Europe Music Awards, and four African Music Awards.
- Wizkid’s net worth is estimated to be around $30 million.
- He has a son named Boluwatife Balogun, who was born in 2011.
- In 2017, he became the first African artist to sell out the Royal Albert Hall in London.
- Wizkid has collaborated with several international artists, including Drake, Beyoncé, and Justin Bieber.
- He has been nominated for a Grammy Award twice, for his contributions to Drake’s album, “Views,” and Beyoncé’s album, “The Lion King: The Gift.”
- Wizkid has his own clothing line called Starboy.
- He has his own record label called Starboy Entertainment.
- In 2018, he sold out the O2 Arena in London in less than 24 hours.
- Wizkid is a brand ambassador for Pepsi, Nike, and UBA.
- He has won the prestigious ASCAP Vanguard Award for his contributions to songwriting.
- Wizkid was listed by Forbes Africa as one of the top 10 most bankable artists in Africa in 2017.
- He was the first Nigerian musician to win an ASCAP award.
- In 2019, he released his fourth studio album, “Made in Lagos,” which features collaborations with several African and international artists.
- Wizkid has a tattoo of Fela Kuti on his arm, in honor of the legendary Nigerian musician.
- He is the youngest African artist to have performed at the 2018 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.
- Wizkid has been featured in several international magazines, including Vogue, Fader, and Billboard.
- He has worked with several Nigerian artists, including Davido, Olamide, and Burna Boy.
- Wizkid’s hit song “Ojuelegba” was remixed by Drake and Skepta in 2015.
- He has won the Nigerian Entertainment Award for Male Artist of the Year three times.
- In 2019, Wizkid won the Soul Train Award for Best Dance Performance for his collaboration with Beyoncé on the song “Brown Skin Girl.”
- He has a total of 60 awards and over 100 nominations to his name.
- Wizkid has performed in several countries, including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and South Africa.
- He has a large following on social media, with over 12 million followers on Instagram.
- Wizkid’s music blends elements of afrobeat, reggae, and hip-hop.
- He has worked with several producers, including Sarz, Shizzi, and Legendury Beatz.
- Wizkid has collaborated with several African artists, including Tiwa Savage, Mr Eazi, and Sarkodie.
- He has won the MTV Africa Music Award for Best Male three times.
- Wizkid has a close relationship with fellow Nigerian musician, Davido, and they have collaborated on several songs.
- He has been featured in several documentaries, including “The Lion’s Share” and “The Lagos Music Salon.”
- Wizkid has a passion for fashion and has been seen wearing designer brands like Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Off-White.
- He has performed at several major music festivals, including the Wireless Festival in London and the Essence Festival in New Orleans.
- Wizkid’s song “Joro” was the most searched song on Google Nigeria in 2019.
- He has been named as one of the 100 most influential Africans by New African magazine.
- Wizkid’s music has been described as “a sonic bridge between the old and new Africa,” and he is considered one of the most influential musicians in Africa today.
Wizkid has achieved remarkable success in his music career and has become a global icon for African music. He has collaborated with several high-profile musicians and has won numerous awards, cementing his place as one of the most influential artists of his generation. With his unique style and passion for music, Wizkid continues to inspire a new generation of African artists and fans around the world.